looking for some help in determining the makers of my 2 different No4 Mk1 rifles. Both were used as fullbore target rifles in Austalia, so show the usuall modifications - Parker Hale rear sights. Central adjustable front sight blades etc. I know both went into the back of the cupboard in 1969 after the Omarks came into use, until i acquired then recently.
Was hoping to gleen some further information on their heritage pree their use as target rifles
1st Rifle
Stamped No 4 Mk1 on reciever. Very faint marks on receiver ring that looks to be a crown over an N over a 2, but in all honesty it very hard to tell for sure even with magnification.
But socket has S within 2 inward pointing arrow heads above the serial number G12541 and a poorly stamped 84 underneith serial number.
Magazine is not serial number stamped but has the Savage squared S on the follower so i gather mag has been replaced at some stage.
Stock is very light "beech" colour and stamped HM Co LTD on both forstock and buttstock, rear handguard grooved. Metal sleeve on front hanguard stamped SM.
Front barrel band stamped G.E.W
2nd Rifle
A Fulton Regulated unit (Has Regulated by Fulton on receiver ring and 2 x heavy screws from within magazine housing of forestock thru to buttstock) I was told by previous owner that it was imported from Uk to Aust in Late 50's.
Receiver also has what appears to be a crown over a D - very faint/buffed off
Has No4Mk1 stamped on side receiver. Also has what appears to be possibly a S within a circle at front of receiver side, but only top half of S and circle are visible as appears to have been buffed half off.
But socket markings are: 1943 over serial number AS14348 - serial number is very very poorly done and all digits have been double stuck over the same digits.
No marks on magazine at all.
Stock is dark wood with no markings except for a faint C or G behind rear sling swivel. Top handgards appear to be possible non orig items, front hand guard metal sleeve stapmed with Savage S, front barrel band stamped G.E.W
Any info anyone may be able to shed on these rifle would be great, thanks
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.