I bought a 1942 1903 tonight that is a rebuild (more on that later) but the guy has a 03a4 that he is looking to sell. He inherited a large number of guns and does not want to keep the a4. I am going to try to go look at it later this week, but don't know much about them. How do I determine originality and what do I look for? I realize that's a big question, but I'll likely need to make a decision fairly quickly so I'd like to educate myself as much as possible. Of course I'll need to determine value as well. If any one can point me in the direction of a few websites or other suggestions I'd be very appreciative.

Tonight I purchased a 1942 Remington 1903 with a 4-42 "flaming bomb" barrel, RP-P, FJA and P marked. The RP-P stamp covers part of the FJA stamp, is that normal? It has a nice dark finish on many of the parts, there are a few bolt parts that are either blue or lighter in color. Upper hand guard does not match the lower wood, it's quite a bit lighter. I think it looks reasonably nice for a rebuild, but I'll post photos tomorrow for your opinions.

Thanks in advance,

Bob
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.