My grandfather on my father's side used one on Guadalcanal. My grandfather on my mother's side trained and was a decorated Army marksman with an '03. I became interested in them, naturally, after CMPicon ran out.

From what I've ascertained, 382xxx Rock Island Arsenal, double heat treated receiver, built in February, 1918. Barrel is September, 1944, High Standard with Springfield flaming bomb. Crown is next to perfect. Ladder sight with no volley notch. Bottom of the stock is marked "77 3 1" in front of the trigger guard. Swept bolt handle. Electropenciled numbers do not match receiver serial. No stamping on side of the butt. Hatcher Hole despite being a "high number" receiver. USMC?

The store received it for consignment from a collector yesterday evening. I stopped by after work, and by some alignment of the universe, saw it. Basic research on the numbers last night, went back this morning and put my name on it this piece of history. It was available for a grand total of 18 hours, and this is the kind of shop where there is a good chance that someone already browsing in the shop would buy it/layaway it as it was being brought in.

Anything else you can tell me would be appreciated... Greek return at the very least?

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.