Hi all,

I am in a position to acquire a Maltby 1943 No4 Mk1 T and before I commit I would really appreciate some more experienced eyes taking a look.
Rifle # BJ 11054 Maltby 1943
Scope# 3882 (No32 Mk 1 Manufactures stamp - HBMC- Houghton-Butcher?).
I posted all the photos I have - some are not the best.

What looks right
- Distinctive Maltby 'M'
- has small T on right side of action next to designation
- has TR on right side of butt socket below rifle serial number
- S51 on butt
- has small S on deleted mag cutoff shoulder
- Scope # 3882 is stamped on top of butt immediatly behind butt socked
- Has correct rifle # stamped on scope bracket
- Matching bolt
- Correct rifle serial # on forewood - stamped along wood
- Fabricated rear sling swivel
- N92 stamped on telescope bracket under front rings on face (faint)
- Rear sight has been modified to allow removal of the bolt without taking off telescope
- Small D6E examiners stamp
- front telescope caps have the number 26 top and bottom
-rear telescope caps have 27 top and bottom although the rear cap has at some stage been removed and put back on around the wrong way
- Optics are clear and crisp

Things that don't look right to me
- Front trigger guard swivel doesn't look right - no markings but could be a parker hale?
- Front sight blade has Parker Hale stamped on the top.
- There is no crosshair in the scope. Post is as it should be. I am not sure if some Mk 1 scopes had posts only?
- Trigger pull is one stage and crisp. Did no4 T's have their triggers work on to remove the two stage military or would this have been done post service life.?
The mods to trigger, swivel and front blade make me think it might have been tweaked for a range rifle/civilian comp?

My only other concern is the forewood looks slightly warped or bent to one side. Its like the barrel is not sitting square in the barrel channel and as a result the front sights exit the wood not dead straight . I have not had the opportunity to take the top wood off and have a look at what is going on. Could this be warpage due to it being improperly stored? It is difficult to see via the photos.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Luke
-
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.