Well i finally got around to pulling my Lithgowicon apart to get rid of all the varnish and other gunk the previous owner applied, as well as removing the scope
It's my first .303, and i fell in love with it the first time i saw it (mainly because it was a Lithgow, and a .303!) and i looked past some obvious 'issues' such as the scope, and the lower hand gaurd not looking quite right.

Attachment 3354

The only decent picture i have of the rifle as it was when i bought it. Shot pretty well considering!!

Attachment 3355

So then i took all the wood off and proceeded to strip off all that horrible varnish/stain that had been painted all over it (runs, brush fibres and all)

Attachment 3356

And here is the thing i was worried about.. its been played with
If anyone in Aus has a spare lower hand gaurd to suit a 1922 Lithgow ShtLE that you want to get rid off i would be more than happy to take it off your hands

Attachment 3357

Paint and varnish stripper doing its thing! Made all that terrible varnish come off without even trying!

Attachment 3358

After all the crud was cleaned off and everything was dry.

Attachment 3359

After i gave it a few coats of boiled linseed oilicon, it came up looking ten times better than when i first got it. The wood doesnt quite match and is a little damaged but i can live with that until i find a nicer gun to add to the cabinet.

Havent yet had time to fit the wood to the rifle yet but i just thought i would post a few pics up in case it interested anyone, aswell as saying G'day to everyone on the forums!

Cheers Guys
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.