Hello all!

Just bought a No4 Mk 1* Long branch today at a gun show. I didn't know much about it at the time other than the price was fair and it looked in good condition. I love the old rifles and fell in love with this one right away, should look good next to my Mosin 91/30.

After spending a few hours researching I've found very little out about this specific gun. Other than it being a 1942 No 4 Mk 1* Long Branch (I think its a *, I'll come to that shortly)

For the most part it has very few markings, and what it does have I can't seem to find the meaning behind. The bolt doesn't match the gun unfortunately, it faintly reads "43497" while the rife itself is 12L1123. I found it interesting in comparison to my 91/30, as it has a plethora (perhaps too many) of markings. Though it was made right before the war in '39, so they may have taken the time to stamp more.

The main thing I'm interested in, however, is whats going on with the scope mount? This one has 4 small black screws which doesn't seem to match any other photo I've seen. I'm mainly wondering if someone has decided to custom mount a scope. Additionally, it has all the signs of being a Mk1* but whoever drilled the holes decided to drill right into the spot where the * would be, if there was one.

I'd love any insight, as I've been hard pressed to figure out the history of this thing.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.