Hi Gents,

Recently I came across this interesting No4 MkI* Enfield manufactured at ROF Maltby. I don't typically collect Commonwealth firearms so a few of the markings have me a little bit puzzled. The first aspect which is confusing to me is the presence of the *. I was under the impression that the Brits only manufactured the No4 MkI? My second question has to do with the fact that the rifle seems (at least to me) to have two serial numbers? Based on the fact that the bottom number begins with 2 my feeling is that it was put on there by ROF Fazakerley but the rifle isn't marked FTR so I'm wondering what's going on there? Could it perhaps have something to do with the BLR (Beyond Local Repair) marking on the butt stock? Finally I'll note that the bolt and mag are complete un-serial numbered. Un-serial numbered mags seem pretty common to me but what about the bolt?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

- Chris

Hi Gents,

Recently I came across this interesting No4 MkI* Enfield manufactured at ROF Maltby. I don't typically collect Commonwealth firearms so a few of the markings have me a little bit puzzled. The first aspect which is confusing to me is the presence of the *. I was under the impression that the Brits only manufactured the No4 MkI? My second question has to do with the fact that the rifle seems (at least to me) to have two serial numbers? Based on the fact that the bottom number begins with 2 my feeling is that it was put on there by ROF Fazakerley but the rifle isn't marked FTR so I'm wondering what's going on there? Could it perhaps have something to do with the BLR (Beyond Local Repair) marking on the butt stock? Finally I'll note that the bolt and mag are complete un-serial numbered. Un-serial numbered mags seem pretty common to me but what about the bolt?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

- Chris

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.