Advisory Panel Patrick Chadwick's Avatar
    Last On
    06-25-2023 @ 06:36 AM
    Local Date
    06-22-2024
    Local Time
    04:29 AM

LP08 help needed!

Dear fellow forum members, I need some help.
    The shooting body of which I am an active competitive member has produced a list of pistols recognized for service competition that excludes the Artillery Luger - the LP08.
    Of course I have written to the organization requesting an explanation. And am still waiting for a reply..

The LP08 does not contravene any rules with regard to micrometer sight adjustment, trigger pull etc - as for these mechanical aspects it is the same as the normal P08.
    The rules do not specify a maximum barrel length. so that can't be the reason.
    So nothing in the shape/size/mechanics of the LP08 itself.

That leaves the intended use with the shoulder stock as the only reason I can imagine.

Obviously I need to be a bit pro-active here.
    So I am looking for:
    a) any service instruction that forbids the use of an LP08 as a normal pistol, i.e. without shoulder stock. If such an instruction exists, then my position is weakened. However, up to now I have only found the instructions for the use of the LP08 with the snail drum magazine, which was intended for the "Sturmtruppen" in WW1. But this is a special application, not the general service usage. Handling an LP08+snail drum with one hand is not something that I would want to do.
    b) any service instruction that covers use of the LP08 without shoulder stock, as an alternative to the use with shoulder stock.
    c) any documentary evidence of the LP08 being issued without the shoulder stock.
    d) any photos showing service** personnel using the LP08 without the shoulder stock.

Up to now, I have only found one instance of c)-d), being a photo of a type of holster without provision for a shoulder stock that was apparently made for Turkishicon officers in WW1*. One can imagine that officers carried the LP08 more as a status symbol ("mine is longer than yours") than with the intention of serious shooting beyond normal pistol range, and did not want to be lumbered with the complete wood and leather apparatus.

Please, search your source literature and post the results here a.s.a.p.

Thanks to you all!

Patrick

*Source "La Luger Artiglieria" by Maurice Baudino, P52. Can also be found online.

**Service personnel includes army, navy, air force, police and border guards/customs officers.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Patrick Chadwick; 05-23-2014 at 10:04 AM.