After getting TBone to install the repo pads on my No4 in 7.62 I assembled it and took it to the range to try and find a good load for it. I have shot it before and it is a decent shooter so I wasn't expecting that to change.

First problem I had was the eye relief of the weaver scope. It is WAY too long and I had to rest my head at the rear of the butt. The next issue was the 2.5 power. Couldn't see the target that well. Anyway, after some issues with sighting it in ( caused by me ) I decided to take that scope off and put on the Bushnell 10x that I had in case this occurred.
This was a much better scope and I went off to do my thing. I was getting generally about 1.5 inch groups out of the 10x scope with the 155 grain sierras. No real change with the different powders or weight. The 168 Hornadys promptly blew out to 2 inches or so no matter what I did. I now have half a packet of them to use on something else I guess.

The downside of the 10x is that I have to take off the top hand guard to use it. I will find another of the same style and modify it. Fortunately that style of hand guard was common on range rifles around here so I won't have to find an L8 ( I think ) hand guard and pay the corresponding prices.

I finally finished modifying the rear sight with the dremel and I can get it out with the scope on. It's quite fiddly to put the bolt back but certainly possible.

I'm quite happy with it. There are a few small things to do such as a front sight and a cheek piece ( plus modify the middle sling swivel ) but it is almost done. I'll keep the 10x on to use it and the weaver to 'show' it. The 'tactical' scope is a small price to be able to see what I am shooting at. I have the utmost respect for people that can shoot as well as I have seen with the low power scopes as I can't !
Attachment 53988
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.