My buddy and I pocked up a pair of rebuilt 91-30 snipers, both from the same guy, at Tulsa gun show last year. both looked teal good with all matching (typical forced) numbers and matching-to-each-other scopes and mounts. We each grabbed one at random. Been playing with lead loads, mainly for easier recoil.
Mine keyholed at 50 yards with .309 bullets, his was good. So I figured I got screwed a little. But then his scope fell apart, so all shooting waited while he got a new one, ended up with a Chinese. Installed it using the original mount, itjust looked a whole lot better. Had to use shims, the Chinese tube is a hair smaller diameter.
Got a bunch of new bullets from .311 to .314, loaded them all 14 gns. Unique and back to the range. Results were weird, to say the least. Mine likes the .314 the best, giving up groups at 200 yards in the 2 to 3 inch neighborhood. So I don't feel bad no more!
His however, not so good. Every bullet tried, from.309 to .314, gave the same results- lousy! Groups at 100 yards were from 1 to 2 FEET diameter, all from a sand bag.
-scope mount screws are tight.
-action screws are tight.
- shimmed the foreend, putting a little up pressure at the end of the barrel.
- tried my loads.
-we both shot it.
-bore is bright.
-no obvious crown issues, looks exactly like mine, both are original, not back-bored or recrowned in any way.
Did not try using iron sights or military ammo yet, ran out of time and shoulders, but will.
So- what else should we look at? The obvious suspect is the Chinese scope, but I can't come up with a rationale that makes sense, the cross hairs don't seem to move on their own.
Is it possessed?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.