I'm interested in starting a retro build. A few years ago I had a Century C15A1 that I liked for the history of it, but it wasn't a very good rifle, FTEs and not very accurate. I traded it off some time ago and bought a M&P Sport last year which is far and away a better rifle.

Anyway, even though I like the Sport, I still want a retro. I think I've cleaned and stripped the C15 and my M&P enough that I understand how an AR goes together and I'm ready to tackle a retro build. But I want a better functioning rifle than the C15A1 was. I've looked at some of the M16A1 kits that are out there now and the best condition kit seems to be the one from Gunthings. The metal parts still seem to have most of their park, and the stock and handguards look pretty good. Of course from pics on the internet its hard to tell internal wear. All the LPK parts have already been changed to semi auto. Plus, they'll add a new 1:9 barrel with the FS installed. All that is needed is a stripped lower, which I have.

McKay also seems to have good quality kits and they offer 1:7 barrels.

The reviews on the Gunparts and Sarco kits don't seem to stack up. Most reviewers seem to comment that the kits are pretty worn.

My other option is to get a new C7 upper (A1 with shell deflector) from RGuns, barrel it, and add A1 stock and handguards (I already have some nice handguards). If I went this route I'd probably get the Gunthings or McKay barrel anyway.

Are there any options I've overlooked?

Thanks in advance for any opinions!

Tim
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.