I picked this up from a local gun show last weekend. I wasn't sure if the rifle was real or not, but felt pretty good about the scope and mount. But from talks with folks on GunBoards and MD Shooters, this is a true Savage sniper built in the US and shipped to Englandicon sans scope. I was also told that Warren Wheatfield and Peter Laidlaw were the real experts and hung out here. So I hope they will see this and comment. (I'm not a photographer...)

Scope side. No 4 Mk 1* and no T mark. Is missing the standard Holland & Holland marks okay for the Savage models?

The scope is a No 32 Mk 3.

Scope mounts are X801 and X802. The front of the bolt does not have an S (as is my understanding that the H&H ones do) but has two 3's, one upside down and one on it's side.

The scope if pretty clear, with the cross wire not quite level. Sorry about the glare on the bottom part.

'S' mark on the front band. I assume that is the Savage mark.

Marks just rearward of front band. Looks line 'N' '49' 'the crown' and '6C'.

Marks at front of receiver. I believe this is the mark showing the military sold it into civilian use, correct?

Marks just rearward of trigger guard. The squared S for Savage again?

The S51 stamp.

Rear band. No TR stamp. The England stamp showing it as a pre-68 import, correct?

Bolt number. Force matched?

The cheek rest was replaced or remounted at some time. You can see the marks of the old one. I don't know if it can be determined if this cheek rest is a replacement made recently or an original model.

You can see the outline of the old cheek rest here also. From what I know about the screws, they look correct.

This is my second T, my first was picked up at the same show last year, but had no scope, mount or cheek rest. Is this scope correct for this rifle? If not, maybe I'll move it to my other one. What do you think?
Thanks,
Paul
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.