I have 3 M1s, two of which were bought by family back in the 60's for $18 each or so through the NRA, believe. Pre DCM, CMPicon. One Underwood, one Winchester. I have over the years tried to restore them back to original status, as many do. A few years back, I got a great deal on an early 8xx,xxx digit Inland. Highwood, early band, push safety. $200. The only FLAW, was, at some point some "industrial" person UPGRADED the flip with a stamped type III. And banged the crap out of the sight in the process. I want to get the proper flip for it, and I believe it's going to be a simple S mark. Is there a guide online that is better at most at showing signs of fakes? I've seen a lot of fakes, and I've seen some that were hard to tell. Fakes have been around so long, that if done right, could be about impossible to tell. Any thoughts? At $100-$200 each, the chicoms could have a factory dedicated to making them for 5 cents and aging them. I'm leary of anything on ebay. Also, I think my Winchester, according to an M1C friend could be possibly late enough for a type II sight from the factory. I want to say it's in the 6.7 million range. Possible??
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.