Hello folks. I purchased a "lot" of bayonets from a guy that picked them up in a estate sale. He didn't know much about them. I didn't notice this at first that was in the lot, but after I got them home, realized I had a hidden gem. There is some condition issues. The leather is all but rotted away with just the wood showing, with reminance of leather pieces on it. The hand gaurd is missing the loop, and the pummel is loose. But, it is what it is. I am wondering if I should do some minor restoration as far as replacing the leather, as just something that wouldn't change it from original barn find condition. Maybe re-peen the pummel to tighten it back, so would that be a mistake? Or should I just leave it as is? Would anybody know what something like this in just slightly north of relic condition would be? I see values all over the place from a few hundred up to several grand? I "think" it is a model 1850, but looks more like an 1840 blade? The hand gaurd has nice scroll work and "US" in it. The blade doesn't have any graphics or at least any that is visible in this condition as I have seen some. It does have near the handle with a couple letters worn off, "Henry Boker, Soligen" on it. Henry Boker of Soligen Germanicon is known to have made swords for both the north & south during the civil war. And I have read somewhere that this maker is fairly rare? Any other info would be greatly appreciated. I would love some feedback on this barn find.

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.