Greetings All

I saw a rifle in the window, and well I purchased it It has had a very very hard life by the look of it, I am but a newbie, and felt that I would like to learn more, and if I broke it, it wouldnt upset me all that Much (I have a longbranch no4mk1* in fantastic condition, and I just can bring myself to disassemble this one!)

Its a 1918 SMLE I am Feeeling its a BSA, but there are a LOT of marks on the side of it,, but I am still trying to find out more information, it was cheap, as it is in bad shape, but the Bore is in goodish condition, The trigger isnt all that crisp, the bolt is well.. sad.. The stock needs some love (and is loose!) someone has tapped and drilled the receiver, and ground down the rear clip guide for a scope ... and the list goes on...

What I would like to ask is the following

1. The rear site, the spring on the flip up site (on one side is a small button, the other side looks like a toothed gear, that grabs the ribs on the sight) the spring or what is used internally has gone, and it flaps up and down ... well you get the idea. I can see that if you undo the scree (which is currently siezed and scored on the back so you cant remove it or it cant come loose) you can get to the slide... I am guessing there is a small spring to replace?

2. The trigger, there is a good 1cm of play in it, before you can feel it engage, and THEN there is is the pull before the pin is thrown. Anywhere I can get sine relevant information, I am guesing youtube, I will have to disassemble and get some drifts I think...

3. The Safety can be engaged in all modes, half cock, full cock, and safe... doesnt phase me to much, as it works, regardless, but I suspect there may be more. Is this a Bad thing?

4. The Butt and Body is in a bit of a poor way, I am just wondering if there are any good guides on Rubbing it down, removing the varnish and restoring it... Youtube?

5. The scope mount (See images) I am guessing it was something that was commercially made for the rifle, I am wondering if anyone has someting in mind that would fit, OR Cover these god aweful holes... honestly, why people did this to these weapons is beyond me (well I know why, I just dont like it !!)

6. The barrell exterior is a bit battered, any secrets on fixing the blue finish...

7. Just out of curiousity more than anything else, converting it back to a 303-303 not a 303-25, would it involve replacing the barrell, would you have to change the bedding and stock, because of the larger barrell?

Any thoughts?Attachment 58733Attachment 58734Attachment 58735
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.