Just out interest was it LB and Savage who only produced two groove barrels or did any UK manufacturer try their hand ?

Only ask as I Bought a No4 some time back for the barrel but took delivery last week, it was described as a No4 Mk2 Sporterized, but is a Maltby No4 Mk1 (1942), I was expecting the normal kind abuse to the body but was surprised as it was untouched and retained its black phosphate finish but no signs of paint etc, no FTR marks either, the barrel was as described by the seller and has plenty of life left in it.

As the whole rifle is in good condition so will leave as is and someday get round to putting some timber on it.

Pic 5 is not that clear but has a D before the V and followed by a 3 (pic 6)

just intrigued by the barrel, has no savage or LB markings, have some pics below, one looks like a small M on the underneath, also the crows foot on the body I thought was south African but they have a U this looks like it should of been an oval.

Its been to the states at some point in its life as its got an Englandicon stamp on the wrist. Serial No has been re stamped also, the barrel has a rough finish but looks original to the body..... pics below. (the sporterized fore-end was removed for pics)

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.