Looking for an answer on a rifle I have little experience with, have tried other locations but possibly someone here will know: Is a pristine, all matching, never looks like it has been in the field Ishapore No1Mk3* that was originally built as a grenade launcher (hex bolt and nut behind rear sight, L shaped metal tab on nosepiece) but is now missing the "sheet metal" reinforcement front and rear. Is this a unique or difficult to find rifle in this condition? I was initially draw to it by the condition of the wood and metal, but figured out it was missing the two reinforcement pieces after doing some research on it. It is very difficult to see any indications on the stock where the reinforcement was placed. Are the sheet metal reinforcement pieces available anywhere? The rifle was not wire wrapped in 1950, so I don't want to do that. Is it feasible to remove the reinforcement bolt, neatly plug the hole, and reinstall a screw as would have been done for a non grenade rifle? The rifle is offered for sale at what I think is a very reasonable price, about half of what sells on the auction sites for a non Ishapore mismatched SMLE. Other than buying what is probably an excellent shooter, what can a beginner collector do with this piece? Thanks in advance for your help.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.