A military buddy, who served in the USMC Force Recon in Viet Nam, just sent me an 8X Unertl scope in the military Micarta carrying case as a gift. It has the figure "8" on a ring, signifying 8X I believe. Sadly the scope is in very poor condition, no bluing remains and it is missing a couple of screws. There is no recoil return spring. This scope is marked J. UNERTL / 1114 and was found in a proper Micarta case in an old army surplus store about 5 years ago. I am a Lee-Enfield buff, do not know a lot about the U.S. rifles and my reference books are mostly on the Britishicon type weapons.

On-line references describe the USMC sniper Unertls e.g. "The scope was marked "USMC SNIPER" and serialized from 1000 to 2775. The scope came with a Micarta carrying case."
http://olive-drab.com/od_other_firea..._m1941usmc.php

A search of the Internet including this forum and my resulting creation of a small database of UNERTL 8X scopes show that those known to be USMC are marked J. UNERTL / USMC - SNIPER. / #### I have not turned up a lower serial number than 1114 so far that is "known" to be USMC.

My questions are:

1. Could this Unertl 8X scope SN 1114 have been a USMC issued sniper scope? (I have to measure the diameters still.)

2. Did the markings on the USMC Unertl 8X scopes vary during production? I know that marking on the Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk. I (T) sniper rifles evolved over time during WWII.

3. Does anyone have, or know of, an Unertl 8X USMC scope with a lower SN than 1114?

4. Would this scope have had a recoil return spring?

5. Can anyone suggest sources for replacement screws?

Thank you
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.