Was notified this morning that Kenneth Campbell (73), of KC Custom Gun Leather, Springville, Alabama, passed away last night due to complications during heart surgery. KC had been making holsters, belts, and other firearms related accessories for over 40 years. During his career, KC had many of his custom holsters and gun rigs featured in major handgun magazines. KC did not have a website, but did his advertising by word of mouth, gun shops here in the South, and a printed catalog. KC was using horsehide for making holsters years before horsehide caught on with other makers. KC was my go to guy for gun holsters, once I was heavily involved in slings. We referred many customers KC's way and never had one dissatisfied.

I first met KC at the Great Western Gun Show, Pomona, CA, in 1990 while I was stationed at MCB, Camp Pendleton, CA. I was just starting to get more serious about slings in addition to the holsters, saddles and other gear I was making in my spare time. I had set up at the show with Ken Fladrich, Armory of Orange. I was walking the show and met KC at Findley Smith's tables. Findley is another story in its self, as I had known Findley Smith (also from the Birmingham area) for several years. KC said Findley had drug him all the way from Alabama to the West Coast so he could get more exposure.

Once I returned home in the summer of 1991, I realized KC was only about 11 miles from me, so we reconnected and began setting up at gun shows through out the South, primarily the Alabama Gun Collector's Show in Birmingham, AL, and Ernie Bean's Great Southern Gun Shows. We continued to set up together at many shows for over 20 years. KC is a great loss, not only as a friend, but an outstanding leathersmith. Prayers go out to the family.

Happy Trails my Friend,

Richard Turner
Turner Saddlery, Inc. (Turner Slings)
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.