Hey guys,

Bought some parts recently to repair my '03 that jams on round five. Received two interesting trigger guards. The one on the bottom is an early Remington with lightening groove as noted by J.B. It is marked with an "R" and it has a gray finish. Apparently a rare bird.

The one in the middle came out of my USMC rifle and has a nice olive color, no maker mark, probably RIA or SA.

The TG on top is the one I have questions about. It came packaged in a very tightly woven light green waxed canvas? No paper no markings. It was completely covered with viable soft cosmic. Cleaned it off and noticed some things I haven't seen before.

The color of the finish is a forest green leaning a little to the gray spectrum.
All edges are very sharp and finely machined. The finish feels like #600 grit sandpaper, smooth but with a definite fine tooth. Here's the kicker. All three TG's have different contours but the one in question is drastically different from the other two. Top piece at the rear of the mag box is much thinner. The curve at the top front of the bow is cut much farther back, and the slot for the latch is bigger, also the trigger cutout. Only marking on it is a small clearly struck "8" on the right flat next to the latch slot looking from the top, tried to photograph it but it didn't come out clear in the photo. The machining on the part is truly impressive and in it's condition it would have never been mounted.

Comments and thoughts appreciated here.

Lancebear

P.S. Sorry this turned into a short article rather than a short post, but as Jim T. posted once, this IS a forum of minutiae.

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.