I have been using once-fired GI brass to reload M193 equivalent rounds, 55 Gr. FMJBT (pulled) or PRVIZI bullets. Resizing and trimming have been in a Dillon case trimmer. I do not use a case expander, just size the neck without one. Tumbling has ranged from possibly excessive (!) to much less of late, just enough to knock off the crud. In any case, I am getting a lot of cases on what appears to be second or third reloadings that have what I would consider to be insufficient neck tension on the 55 grain bullets. In most cases they have sufficient pull for practice purposes and I ensure that they have a good moderate crimp into the cannelure. They function fine and I have no problems with bullet movement. I don't consider it to be quite right.

However I don't care for this apparent light tension. Is this something peculiar to the 5.56 case, and a limiting factor on case life? I have loaded .30-06 and 7.62 for gas guns for years without running into anything like this. I would hate to think I am only going to get about one or two firings out of my GI brass with the availability and cost the way it's going.

Ideas?

Thanks.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.