This piece is very special to me as a family member sent this helmet home before he was killed. My great uncle served with the 83rd infantry division following his landing on Omaha beach during d day. During his short service through Franceicon he sent home many items including three helmets, three rifles, a p38 pistol, a nazi party flag, and several bayonets and knives. He unfortunately was killed in action during the battle of Brest, where he was killed by a mortar round. My grandfather, his younger brother, never got to know him since my grandpa was 7 when my great uncle was killed but he kept the crate my great uncle sent home with all of his bring backs inside. After my grandpa passed away last October my brother and I decided to open the crate when we discovered it in my grandparent's guest room. I took this helmet, a k98, the p38, and two bayonets. Hope you all like this heirloom as well as its history.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.