FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    07-24-2018 @ 04:44 PM
    Local Date
    05-31-2024
    Local Time
    10:40 AM
    A Re-stock and retry. I picked up a WRA stock for the carbine on the cheap ($60) on eBay. Stock has no cracks, several gouges, and a chip out by the recoil plate, but the cartouches are are clear and sharp. I washed it with soap and water, applied a coat of Minwax Dark walnut stain to even the finish. I've also added a NOS Korean War era sling and oiler.

Took it back to the range to sight it in properly at 25 yards. Benched, Sight set to 100 yards and I used the good '71 Lake City ammo. Perfect day, 68 degrees, sunny, light breeze. I used a file on the front sight to bring the hits up as it was shooting low last time out. Hits started low and still right, so I kept filing and added two more left clicks of windage. After 15 rounds, I switched to the second target and fired another 15 and things looked good.

Went to the 100 yard range; same sights, same ammo, and still benched. Shots started right and low. I put the front blade on the center and a touch left and started to hit when the carbine jammed. Removed a live round, checked the breech and tried again - still jammed. Took a closer look and, oops, the extractor had slipped out of its groove. Plunger and spring were missing; found the spring on the bench, and miracle of miracles, found the plunger on the ground under the bench. I tried putting Humpty-Dumpty back together again - almost had it - but decided not to tempt my extraordinary luck in finding the pieces only to lose them again. I cleaned the carbine, and when home used the take down tool to firmly reset the bolt. I also added a little cold blue to the bare metal of the front sight.

Looks pretty good and will shoot pretty good now.

T
    Last edited by majspud; 04-18-2015 at 04:15 PM. Reason: sp