Just purchased a No4 Mk1* and frankly it has me scratching my head.Clearly stamped Longbranch 1944 on the receiver wall and every part has the LB stamp except the front hand guard that is stamped C.

The part that puzzles me is where the serial should be stamped on the butt socket there is only a C with opposing broad arrows and V-1 the bolt is also stamped V-1.

The fore stock is a different matter it has a serial of 31L5500 along with a large B 10 stamped about 5" down from the front metal.That would put it into 1943 manufacture I believe. It also has had some major work done to the bedding.The barrel channel has been opened up and it has been bedded with what appears to be fiberglass resin at the front trigger guard screw,the knox form and 5" in front of the knox form.Except for those places the barrel is free floated and it moves freely in the barrel channel.

Other than the fore stock the only thing that makes this different than a standard issue No4 is, the front sight has a small set screw that would allow for changing the post {not a blade} and a tapped hole on the side of the butt socket likely to attach a aperture sight.

So to all the knowledgeable members out there what do I have? DCRA rifle,Bubba's handiwork or some other explanation? Also what about the Serial# ? There is no evidence of grinding whatsoever,but why something that is so out of the norm for a LB serial?

Thanks for your replies in advance.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.