I just bought a DPD-marked M1icon carbine from Gunbroker. My understanding is that the Army sold or gave M1 carbines to various police departments after WW2 and that Detroit sold them off about 5 or 6 years ago. I field stripped the rifle and found a lot of various manufacturers for the small parts. The barrel appears to be the original with a Buffalo Arms 8-43 which is pretty close to when a Quality with SN 1895xxx would have been built.

Considering that this rifle is a rebuild with an M marked magazine release, a new safety, and type 3 barrel band, I expect the stock to have been replaced. I've attached pictures of the stock and markings. It appears to be walnut but I thought that most replacement stocks were birch. It has mark in the sling well, but no marks on either side of the grip nor a P mark on the pistol grip. The mark in the picture appears to be sideways in the sling well with the top toward the slot. The bottom of the mark appears to have some numbers with a few letters directly above it.

I was trolling the web for pictures of stock cartouches and I ran across a few other DPD marked rifles with the same type of wood and a lighter band of finish about an inch from the sling well that goes all the way around the butt. The lighter band of finish was attributed to where some tape had been applied to the stock. I found a post on a different M1 forum site that had a picture of a rifle that the same cartouche marking but nobody every came back and identified it (maybe because the picture wasn't very sharp. Is this a USGI stock? The buttplate is probably not USGI because I can't find any similar pictures. I'll post a picture later.

I bought the rifle to be a shooter, and the barrel gauges at 1.5 so I'm pretty happy with it so far. I'm just trying to figure out the history. Can anyone identify the cartouche?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.