Hey, guys,

took me a while to figure where the Joustericon lists went ... here's a good one for you all. Rifle mag, March '09, has an article on 8x57 "magnum" loads. The author likes his 8 ... so do I, and I've been loading for the 8 for maybe 15 years.

Most of the loads in the aticle were just good, stiff 8mm loads. One of them was something else ..

"150 gr. Sierra sp, 56.5 gr. Winchester 748, 2800+ fps"

This has gotta be a misprint. My Hodgdon manual doesn't list any Winchester powder loads for the 8x57, but does list them for the '06 and .308. For those cartridges the max loads with 150 gr bullet are right around 50 gr.

The only way I would shoot that load is in someone else's gun, rested in an old tire and pulling the trigger with a 20-foot string. It's gotta be a misprint.
I'm going to call the magazine tomorrow and raise my concerns ..

I'm not an alarmist, actually I tend to push the envelope with the 8x57, especially with hunting loads. But I can recognize a load that is gonna blow a gun. W 748 is right in the same burning rate range as Ball C - I might try say 48 gr of that with the 150 gr bullet, maybe start at 46.5 and work up. **56.5 gr.!!**

jn
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.