Back in the late 50's as I recall (maybe early 60's) Sears bought up a bunch of military surplus actions and barreled actions and had a company in the Midwest make sporters out of them..I recall a barrel or box of rifles in the sporting goods department and think the cost of them was something like $59 without a scope and $70 with one....As I can find out they used Mauser actions, 1917 actions and even used some commercial model 70 conversions...

These would have been much like the Remington Model 30 that was a 1917 conversion.

I know this forum is mostly about military surplus rifles and not about sportarized rifles but since these were a commercial venture of some scope I wonder what information someone might wish to share...

I happen to have a Winchester "Sears deer rifle" that has a 22" bbl...looks a bit like an old Bishop stock..it has a sears scope mount and a fixed 4 power Ted Williams scope...it has a blind magazine which cut the capacity down (the "pregnant guppy" floor plate is gone and the box magazine is fully contained in the stock)..

This little devil shoots terrific...it makes a big flash and bang but I've shot it a lot over the years...Is there any "trail" of information about these rifles? Any info or thoughts appreciated..I didn't think it would be considered a "buba" rifle as it was not "home brew"..Thanks
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.