Well, I did a range day with my new PSA cheapo mid-length 1/7 twist 16" M4gery build Monday.... I AM IN LOVE! For a build that I have less than $400 into (except lower that I already had), it is a great little weapon. I never had a mid-length before, but REALLY love the balance (and the fact it takes my M9 bayonet!). I did 300 rounds down range, and ZERO problems! Function from Colt USGI 20s (blocked to 10) was flawless

PARTS:

-PSA 16", 1/7" twist, mid-length flat top upper (picked up for 4th of July bargain for $189 W/O charging handle or BCG).
-Tactical Tri-Delta Brake from Custom Muzzle Brakes.Com ($39.00)
-AIM M16A1 Bolt Carrier group with Carpenter 158 Bolt ($89.00)
-Anderson Mfg. Lower
-Anderson Lower Parts Kit ($45.00)
-Tapco mil-spec diameter M4 stock (from LGS without buffer $25)
-Tactical Intent 3.8 oz. H buffer
-No Name tactical flip up rear sight off flebay, ($19.75 w/ A2 knob and 2 position rear aperture)
-Vintage Tasco 20mm Pro-Point 1X shotgun red dot on a 3/4" riser so it is co-witnessed.

First I sighted it in 1" low at 25 yards for an approximate battle sight at 250 yards. Easy nickel to quarter sized group from a casual rest. I used M193 Lake City/Federal to sight, and found my MK262 MOD1 77 grain OTMs printed the same. The FSB was perfect, as with the rear sight centered in the top of the receiver, I only did one click left. Elevation, I had to drop it 3 clicks on the front sight. I then lined up the red dot with the irons, and it was percent.

First I started bouncing pop cans at 100 yards, holding at 6 o'clock. From a rest, I was about 100%.

Then I was bouncing a beer can at 200 yards, just using my vintage Tasco Accudot 1X red dot scope. It was awesome!

Finally, at 300, (still using the Tasco) using the 77 grain MK262 Mod1 5.56 ammo, with one click right, I was bouncing a milk jug at 300 yards with the Middy. I am very, very impressed! Function with M193 and MK262 MOD1 was flawless.

I also tried reloads (after the first 300 rounds). The build absolutely hated my older IMR 4198 55 grain loads, and short cycled one out of 2 or 3 shots. My current loads, 55 Grains of IMR4064, however, functioned great at shot almost the same POS as the factory 55s and 77s.)

I really like the balance of the middy, and the fact that up to 200 and 300 yards, the MK262 MOD1 printed within a couple inches of the M193! I mixed some mags with every other shot, and was hitting in basically the same place regardless of which I used.

I was shooting it with a California bullet button with 10 rounders, but I have since put a Monsterman grip and pinned the stock, so I can run it with my pre-2000 high capacity USGI 30s. Pictures in a couple days when I get ahold of my wife's Nikon D90 camera.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.