Contributing Member Mike in Wis.'s Avatar
    Last On
    11-28-2022 @ 08:15 AM
    Local Date
    06-12-2024
    Local Time
    01:53 PM

Trench Knife Identity

I recently aquired this knuckle / trench knife. It isn't an issue item, but it is VERY well made. I'm unsure of it's actual origin, I originally thought it was perhaps a one of a kind, but given the fact that the maker seems to have issued a serial number, I assume there are more out there. I'm wondering if anyone has seen a similar one...

The knife is made from a cut down M1892 Krag bayonet, marked US on the right and 1899 on the left. It has a 7" blade, very nicely cut down and expertly beveled and sharpened on the top side as well. It's about 12" in overall length. It's quite hefty, the knuckle is made of steel and welded and fitted to the front and rear of the grip. The bayonet's groove on the top back and button area on the grip is filled. The serial number is stamped on the top filled area, it's plating is flaking a bit there, the letters are sharp all indicating it was numbered after it was made. The serial number is stamped "5281 82". The grip is made from a modified Garand type M1icon bayonet grip. All in all... it's a very well made knife. I'm unsure, but it appears as though it was made and chromed at that time.... due to the very sharp blade showing no sign of having been sharpened and the crisp stamped serial number. There are no makers marks I can find.

Interesting knife.... any comments ? I know some Krag bayonets were modified into knives during WW1, but this seems a later effort....

Mike
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Mike in Wis.; 09-03-2015 at 12:21 PM. Reason: spelling