Over the past few years I have been trying to source a shootable Ross rifle in military configuration to fill that slot of Canadian First World War history I have been missing.

There are a number of collector grade rifles but the price point is a hold back for a rifle that I want to do plinking and demonstration shooting with. I will commonly offer a few shots of a rifle to anyone I encounter on a range to share the experience, it helps build interest in the sport and foster appreciation for history.

Back to the topic at hand, basically I have been searching an example of a representative Ross rifle, full length, without paying a mint.

During this time I frequently encountered a large number of non-factory sporter Ross rifles, generally they are of a common line, either cut back barrels, or shot-out, cut back barrels. However the asking price of these rifles is low enough, that is makes the prospect of a restoration somewhat attractive. This is how I got my Canadian marked No.1 Mk.III for example, a full rifle with only cut back furniture.

Now I have a good idea about Lee-Enfield rifles, in a general sense, but I am out of my element when it comes to the Ross, so I am here with some questions.

1. Replacement Barrels: Do they exist? Nearly every ex-military sporter I encounter has the barrel cut back to 24-26" are there any original (30.5"?) or replacements available?

1. a) If there is a replacement barrel obtained, is the installation something a that could be done in a home shop with appropriate hand tools, or does proper fitting require machinist work?

2. If anyone has done this job before can you share your experiences/recommendations?

3. If anyone knows of a original, full furniture military Ross rifle for sale in Canadaicon at a +/- $1000 price point please let me know. I am not in a hurry, nor am I after a specific Mark or model, but after 5 years of passively looking I thought I might bump the priority a little higher in my search by actually asking around.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.