Real Name
    Jonathon
    Local Date
    06-24-2024
    Local Time
    03:38 AM

My Grandfather's Gun

S&W K38 S/N: 843345

My grandfather was one of my heroes. He spent a year in an English hospital after being shot in Belgiumicon. His occupations included soldier, farmer, police officer and commissionaire. Local lore in my community often brings up a story of him "dropping" a bull with a punch after it attempted to ruin his day. He was one of most honourable and strong people I have ever known.
    He was also very frugal, which is how I get to this weapon. Sometime in the late 1950's or early 1960's he became a town police officer in NS. He was looking for a revolver as his side arm and was looking at "suicide specials" as apparently the price seemed right. Thankfully my dad bought 2 of these pistols from a local gunsmith and gave one to my grandfather. He carried it for the duration of his career. With it I have a Sam Brown holster and his handcuffs and handcuff pouch. The second pistol was lost in a building fire in the late 70's.

I am told that this was a surplus RCMP pistol. I can find a Canadianicon broad arrow stamped above the left handguard (near the hammer, does not show up well in the photos). I cannot find any markings that state RCMP. I have no idea of how RCMP weapons would have been marked. I am interested in any information I can get on this pistol. I have no intention of selling it, but should probably have some idea of what it is worth for insurance purposes.

Thanks for taking a look.

Regards,

Drift.

Attachment 68659Attachment 68658Attachment 68660Attachment 68661Attachment 68662Attachment 68663Attachment 68664
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Drift; 01-14-2016 at 07:26 AM.