I recently inherited Dad's M1icon Carbine. I owe my sisters some monetary exchange fairness, and so am trying to determine a good "if I sold it" value (even though not selling it).

Until yesterday spending snow storm time on the internet, I knew virtually nothing about an M1 Carbine, except I have fired a couple of magazines through it as a teenager.

Here's "the story." And I've also read "disregard the story, and evaluate the gun. The story holds no merit and the gun is the whole story" type of thing in this regard. Anyway... Grandfather's sister's husband was in the Navy as a CPO on a battleship, and that's where it came from, a battleship armory, back then. At what point that was is anyone's guess. That person gave it to my Grandfather in the early 1950's. The FACTS I know are: It was on Grandpa's gun rack when I was a kid in the 1960's. Grandfather gave it to Dad in the '70's. The family has fired it, but maybe one outing every 25 years. Dad put it in a WWII display case he made, with a '45 M1 Garand and a '43 RR .45.

SN 1,781,XXX in excellent condition.

Type I Stock has IR IP Very-very lightly stamped (hard to see) in the sling cutout, at the top rear. Stock is high wood, appears (to me) to be walnut, very dark with a red tint. Stock has a circle P stamped in the butt of the pistol grip area (was double struck, 1/8th inch off on second hit). Irwin Pedersen is on the rear of the receiver above the serial number.
Barrel has UNDERWOOD 3-43 on it, then the Ordnance flaming ball. Top of barrel, about an inch forward the forward part of the stock is a small P stamped.
Front sight has IPN stamped after sight tang on the top. Left side has a small 4 stamped. Right side has nothing.
Rear sight is a flip type. Right side has small RP stamp. Left side has a small S stamped.
Front sling D ring has UP stamp.
Push button safety has IP-W stamped on right side of button.

Not much else visible without disassembly. Not sure I trust just "any gun shop" to leave the rifle with them for an appraisal, and then have them disassemble it into all it's marked parts. Too easy to substitute other parts into it and take any IP parts they find--maybe I am just distrusting. I may have to disassemble and take photos prior. Or just value it myself. Not sure.

Anything I could learn about it would be interesting, anything anyone might say to place a "going to sell it" value on it would also be appreciated (even though I am keeping it). Thank you in advance. Pretty much a novice on it all.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.