Hello everyone.

I hope to get a bit of help here as I take on this new Winchester project.

Some time ago I started looking for a Winchester 1895 Russianicon musket. Couldn't find one affordable enough in good condition when u stumbled on a sporter in great condition.

The barrel was shortened, the forestock cut down, the buttstock was reshaped, the rear sight replaced, the front sight base added, and missing the charger guides.

I started looking for missing parts in an attempt to reconfigure it close to original, knowing that with a shorter barrel it will be impossible to really restore it's glory completely.

I found the missing parts - rear sight, charger guides, buttplate, various screws I needed, and a sear spring that on mine was attached with a crew and nut.

I could have gotten aN original wood set, but I dont think I would be able to take the saw to a perfectly good original forestock, so I got a repro set.

Now for my question... How should the forestock be inlet? Barrel sitting flush on all sides in the forestock? Is it floating in sections? It us floating over the bottom of inletting? I am fitting one now so I would like to do it right. Please let me know.

Thank you.

P.S. the bore is great and the metal is in excellent shape.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.