Quote Originally Posted by M95Dennis View Post
Just getting started reloading for my 1903. I have Imr 4064 and 150gn flat based spire point factory seconds. Any tips or experience to share. Should I keep to listed OAL. I have a redfield peep sight on it and wanted to go for accurate loads . It has a 1944 1903a3 2 grove barrel on it. Yes it was sporterized when I got it but barrel wasn't cut. With some factory loads it seemed pretty good. I won't be using it for hunting so was interested just in target shooting.
The biggest problem I had in the 150gr weight range was finding a good flat based bullet that was long enough to load to factory ball round OAL. The Hornady 150 Interlocks, and the Sierra 150 Pro Hunters will allow this. Most if not all 150gr BT projectiles won't.
You can try seating out to the lands, but you might reach the point where the round won't fit into the mag box anymore before that happens.

After all that, you may just end up where I did...right at factory ball round length.

I now use Speer 165gr HCSP's with either IMR4895 or 4064 @ 2700 fps as my general use round for the 03A3 and M1icon rifles.