Last On
    06-28-2023 @ 05:15 PM
    Real Name
    Mike
    Local Date
    06-24-2024
    Local Time
    08:53 PM
    Yes Pete, The Rank Pullen Starlight scope was indeed, The Norm'. I belive various sights units like the L4A1 Etc. did undergo Troop trials under various situations/ condtions. But I never had hands on with any of them at the time. I did have hands on with the inistial issue Maxi-Kite Night scopes though. & do you recall the monstrosity of an 'Adaptor' for the L85A1 for the Starlight Scope. as an intrim measure, until the much lighter & smaller Maxi-Kites came on Stream?

I did however, have hands on with the prototype L85 in it's original guise with the Bulbous hand grip etc. That it started out life with. Various things were changed on a daily/ weekly basis on Trial at Warminster at that time. One of the right Pains at that time, was the ejection opening cover. The originals were made of steel, & timed to open exactly as you were retracting the working parts. So that the design of it would cut a nice slice out of your thumb, underneath the thumb itself!!!
    Various other methods were trialled, such as nylon brushes in this area. Which eventualy began to take a 'set' as the bristles swept to the rear. Thus allowing the ingress of dirt & other foreign 'Matter'........Marvellous! Then the Green Plastic one was adopted, & with little modification. Serves on till this Day!

yes I agree, that rail on the SLR Top Cover was a bit previous, when you had the SUITb for that rifle. BUT.. it MIGHT be the case, that because of the SUITS weakpoint. The Attachment spring on the sight. Becoming streteched Etc, they were trying to better the sight facility with a more ridged mounting method. & you know yourself, the SUSAT is very ridged when fitted correctly! I have a mount for a Charlie G for a SUSAT. & also the same for an L7 GPMG. All a bit forward looking perhaps? But what a waste of time & money on the Charlie G! It already had the excellent No:38 Scope for Brit Service. It really didn't need the coarser Graticuled SUSAT!!
    GPMG I can understand, It gave it a bit more accuracy at a longer range, But as an AREA Weapon designed to give a 'Beaten Zone'. Why would you want 'Accuracy' that could be delivered by the SUSAT?.......

The SUIT Sight top covers failed as you say Pete, with spot welds coming adrift, & yes the rear locating 'Ears' cracking through, with monotonous regularity! though to be fair, that did also happen with 'Standard' Issue top covers also you will recall? Remember the Misc Instruction to 'remedy' that Defect? When one 'ear' cracks/ fractures. Cut the other off also & dress smooth with a file, & repaint with Suncorite 259!........ Ah......Happy Memories!.....LOL
    Last edited by tankhunter; 07-09-2016 at 03:21 AM.