I picked up an Argentineicon 1909 bayonet this morning at a yard sale. Argentine manufacture which is what caught my eye. Guy had an extremely high price on it which also caught my eye but not in a good way. Matching scabbard, serial B 015352 with a frog. Told me a story about this being a rare one that escaped being ground down with the Peron overthrow. Never heard the story before. I'm not one to buy the story and he suggested I make him an offer. I offered $200 less than what he was asking which put this into the realm of an Argentine manufacture 1909 bayonet figuring he'd just say no but he accepted.

Now I can find very little out about this. Apparently the CFS stands for: Consejo Federal de Seguridad which translates to Federal Council of Safety. 1700 bayonets were manufactured for this "group". When Peron was overthrown, many, possibly 500, if not more of these were supposedly ground down and remarked GN which is their border patrol. The CFS having been dissolved. I've also read that the GN bayonets which were created from the CFS bayonets are not included in the 500 crestless GN bayonets manufactgured.

I've ran all sorts of searches about Peron, the CFS, etc and just can't find anything substantial, although I was able to confirm that they were supposedly reworked to GN so the story at least was confirmed GN marked bayonets are supposed to be rare but the CFS bayonets are supposed to be even more rare but I have no way to verify this. Hoping I didn't shoot myself in the foot buying this. I figure at $150 I was OK, even for a run of the mill 1909 with matching scabbard and frog. The serial number also falls into the range listed in a book by Colin Webster. I don't have the book, this is just what I was able to gather from other discussions.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.