06-28-2023 @ 05:15 PM
    Real Name
    Mike
    Local Date
    06-18-2024
    Local Time
    08:49 PM

Unusual Defect

As I mentioned in a thread in the 'Other' SMGs Etc section. I lay down for your interest, what I encountered at a local Military vehicle Show very recently.

I attended the War & Peace revival Show from the 16th-24th July here in the UKicon. It is litteraly 20 Mins drive up the road from where I live. (So it would be rude not to attend! )

I Own an RB44 2 Ton truck with a radio Body on the rear. So I have comfortable accommodation to live/ sleep. & also the benefit of being able to secure weapons in the 'Shack', when I wish to have a Beer or two with good friends.

Obviously, you tend to walk round the show seeking out similar owners, to share/ learn about similar marques of vehicle & their particular Picadillos.

Well, I was talking to this nice Chap & his son, who were also owners of the same model truck as mine. & obviously the conversation turned round to my Trade as an Armourer.
    The Guy mentioned he had a problem with his Deact Bren. It would clock, but not dry fire.
    I offered to examine the Gun to discover the problem, & took it back to my pitch.

it was a MK.I.m Model, with the horrible MK.II Spindly Bipod! Upon CAREFULLY pushing the body locking pin to one side. & SLOWLY pulling the Butt Slide rearwards. It was indeed, cocked & putting the return springs under compression!
    Holding the working parts with my Left hand & the Butt with my Right. I pulled the slide sufficiently back to clear the receiver end. & CAREFULLY lifted the whole piston extention & B/Block as one. Up & off the sear, & slowly releasing the ensemble forwards. Easing the tension on the return springs & push rod.

Upon close inspection, It revealed that the trigger axis pin was missing. Aha, I thought. But it didn't end there!
    The reason the trigger axis pin got lost, was because. The trigger plunger Operating spring, had collapsed inside the tripping sear! The plunger puts tension on the axis pin at ALL times. & without this pressure, the pin simply fell out unnoticed by it's owner!

I only had a few Bren spares with Me at that time, & naturally. Nothing that I needed!
    So....I removed the trig Plunger retaining pin, which is very small. & discovered that the coil spring had collapsed in TWO places, making three sections of short & coil bound spring!.

What to do I pondered?....So I made a new axis pin from a nail used in a bolt gun, which was conveniently headed. But hard to file!
    & robbed a coil spring from a Biro Pen, which was given to me that morning from a stall holder as a Freebie. Not quite as strong as the original, but did the job admirably!

Reassemble the Gun & it all worked as it should. A few repeated cock & fire's to check all was OK. & it was duly returned to a very pleased owner. Another Friend Made, & Tech info manuals on my Truck being Emailed to me as we speak. Lovely!

Another example of 'Adapt & Overcome' in the Field. Of which R.E.ME Trained Personel excel if I may make so Bold!

I hope you guys found this just a little entertaining? If not....well. Pour another glass for Me Please!
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by tankhunter; 07-26-2016 at 04:15 AM.

2. The Following 11 Members Say Thank You to tankhunter For This Useful Post: