Found another Japaneseicon rifle at an auction this weekend, this time mislabeled simply as "Military Rifle". I placed an absentee bid and won for $300. THe transfer fee from the gun shop the auction used was $50 though! Oh well.

The rifle itself is a Mukden Type 38 Carbine. The condition isn't quite as great as the Type 44 I found a few weeks ago. This one clearly sat in a basement or somewhere wet for far too long. I even found mouse crap in the action!! Most of it appears to be just surface rust, but the butt plate and magazine floorplate seem especially hit. I have not yet taken it out of the action, as I just made it home an hour ago. From what I see the numbers match, including the bolt, rear sight, and floorplate. Bayonet lug didn't have any numbers on it and the bolt stop seems to have a different number. Maybe that will match the assembly number under the stock? I'm not an expert by any means on which numbers coincide with what on these Type 38's.

It is missing the dust cover and the mum has been ground. Seems like there was a bit of grease and cosmolineicon that protected the inside of the receiver a bit. The stock appears in excellent condition too. Even still has the cartouches on the wrist, though I have no idea what they mean. Maybe someone here can explain them a bit more.

I plan on using 0000 Steel wool to remove the active rust. Obviously nothing else will be done to it and I'll be taking it slowly. I've wanted a nice Type 38 Carbine for some time, so I'm glad to also cross this one off the list. It's been a pretty good summer in terms of finding Japanese rifles at auctions, haha!

Any thoughts? Appreciate the help as awlays!

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.