Thread: Wire Cutters, genuine or repro???

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    08-11-2024 @ 10:05 PM
    Local Date
    09-20-2024
    Local Time
    03:21 AM

Wire Cutters, genuine or repro???

I recently purchased these wire cutters from a U.K. based dealer who sold them to me as genuine issue, post WW2, Britishicon wire cutters. When they arrived and I had a good look at them I can't help but think that they have the look of being reproduction and not original items, as described. There are no visible markings which I can see but any that may have been present may have been lost if it's an original that's been refinished. All the parts do appear to have been punched out with hard tooling and not laser cut as is often seen with reproduction items these days. It has obviously been painted recently but this doesn't necessarily indicate a repro and it could be an original that's been refinished.

I have contacted the dealer who sold it to me and he still insists that it's a genuine item. I was wondering if Forum members would like to take a look at the pictures, please, and help me figure out if it's an original item or a repro because at the moment I can't decide one way or the other.

Generally I don't have reproduction items in my collection for the simple reason that they do nothing for me. The only exception to this is something like a part that is no-longer available and a repro is the only option. Thanks for any information and help.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Flying10uk; 11-21-2016 at 04:06 PM.