I'm going to take a look at a Garandicon tomorrow that is reportedly chambered in .308. It is a Harrington & Richardson and I'm told it was manufactured pretty near the end of production. I have heard good and bad things about Garands in .308 but two that concern me are:
how can I tell if the barrel is one with an insert or bushing used to convert it form a .30-06 to a 7.62 x 51? Can I even tell, is it marked in some way? The other is I have heard some say a 7.62 x 51 may be a .308 but it's not a Winchester .308 and you can't just go out and shoot it until you know what kind of ammo it takes. Again, can I tell by looking/measure it myself or is this something better left to a competent gun smith? I do own a Garand manufactured by Springfield with a 1944 receiver rebuilt in 1953 but it is chambered in .30-06 and this is the only Garand I have any experience with and I have zero with one in .308.
I have not seen the gun yet so am no help in answering any questions at this point but I was thinking I might want to stay away from one that has an insert that may work lose and pop out with a casing and probably don't want one that is difficult to find ammo for. Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.