While sorting through and reorganising some of my bayonet collection today I came across this WW1 Mauser bayonet which has obviously been shortened and I believe it to have been used by the Turkishicon army in it's latter years of service. Although it has obviously had a long and extensive military use I would guess that this is probably one of my favourite bayonets in my collection but I can't really explain why. Perhaps it's something to do with it's patina and unglamorous appearance,who knows; it's just in honest original condition. All that I have tried to do to is clean it up and halt any corrosion that may have been present. There was all manner of muck and dirt forced into the bottom of the scabbard which I carefully removed and then soaked the scabbard in light oil.

Would this bayonet originally have been a saw back that has been ground off? I think not because of the markings on the back of the blade but don't really know for sure.

Thanks for looking and for any information.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.