Good evening this is my first post here, but since finding milsurps I have been reading many of the archived threads and have to admit to nipping very impressed at the friendly nature of the people on here and the depth of knowledge.

I have 3 Brens, 2 I've had for a while the other a recent addition. The most recent one is what looks to be quite an original 1940 Mk1 with all matching numbers including the barrel. The finish is however VERY worn, so am pondering refinishing it. I assume that it would have come out of the factory blued?. Back in the early 80's in the Army Cadets the SKN's and Mk3 live firers I used all,seemed to have a very thick painted finish, presumably this was applied during the many years that they were in service by armourers?.

Some years ago I was given a litre tin of paint, the guy who it came from said 'it was the stuff that army used to paint guns with' not sure if this is correct because the labels have been pulled off. It's red with a screw top, the paint is the foulest smelling stuff but once it's been shook up and stirred up it is fantastic, brushed onto bare metal it gives a perfect Matt finish (the job does however stink for weeks after). The finish I saw on those old cadet Brens was a little satin looking, as is on my L59A1 whereas this lethal brew I have gives a Matt looking finish, wondering if this is the same stuff used on the cadet weapons but I am not applying it correctly?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.