I bought out a Lee Enfield collection this weekend. 4 rifles and a bunch of parts and pieces. One 1962 Ishapore, two 1918 Brits (One had a broad arrow on the unit disc. When I flipped it had a 1920 date and the Royal Hamphire Regiment {2nd} mark and rack number), and one 1911 LSA.

The LSA has FR painted on the stock and was re-barreled in 1921. Sold out of service stamps on it. This one is a beater and never coming back to a shooter. Wood is pretty beat up. Bolt over clocks, out of headspace, Lots of mud, sand left in the wood around the barrel which rusted the barrel pretty bad. The bore is very pitted.

However, being a 1911 LSA I figure its worth trying to freeze the rust and relegate it to wall hanger status. So far however the Main (King) screw is rusted stuck and tight. I was able to get everything else out by soaking in Kroil for two days. The main screw after two days of Kroil and plenty of hammer raps on a screw driver is still not following orders. I Kroiled it again. I am thinking about taking a soldering iron and sticking the hot tip on the action where the screw enters. I don't know if that will get it warm enough to help. Any other ideas on getting the screw to move.

The plan is to disassemble it, give all the metal parts that are rusted an electrolysis bath then cold blue it (Just want to stop the rust). Put a spare snipped firing pin in the bolt and reassemble then wall hanger. I want to leave wood as is with patina and missing small chips. All the numbers match (Barrel numbered when replaced in 1921) except the bolt is so rusted at the handle I can not tell on that. I might be able to after electrolysis.

Thanks in advance.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.