Quote Originally Posted by esu_1985 View Post
Just a heads up Banjo,

Although the likelihood of finding one is probably extremely low, some re-barreled Eddystones had issues with hairline cracks in the receiver where it meets the barrel.

In C.S. Ferris's book " United Statesicon Rifle Model of 1917 " page 167 he wrote a paragraph titled Eddystone Sales Prohibited. The Columbus [Ohio] Army Service Forces Depot sold the Model of 1917 rifles. The Ordnance Supply Officer there recommended on May 14,1947 to the Chief of Ordnance that no Eddystone rifles be sold. They had a lot of complaints from people who had there guns polished and blued. These were all re barreled rifles in Army inventory. The Army finish did not show the cracks so they could not tell a good receiver from a bad one. Original barreled rifles were OK. Re barreled rifles could crack under the stress of re barreling. Remington and Winchester did not have this problem.

Like I said, the likelihood is very small, but you should closely examine your receiver under magnification to make sure. You might have to apply a penetrant and wipe to see if any "bleeds" from a potential crack.

Any chance for some pics?
The problem of cracking receivers was known back in WWI. I have to find the quote from a letter from the President of the Winchester company to an US Army Ordnance Captain complaining about the quality of the steel to be used in the receivers which resulted in cracking of the receivers. The Captain responded back that the cracked receivers were being pulled from the production lines as discovered. It not to say that several perhaps hundreds slipped through due to war time (WWI) production. Unfortunately there is no follow up information during the US rebuild programs in WWII if they encountered any cracked receivers during the rebuild process. I will see if I can find the letters and quotes.

--fjruple