I had been looking for a 1917 bayonet to go with my recently acquired M1917. My son said he’d found one in my price range on eBay and bought it for me as a gift (maybe he meant his price range). It has not arrived yet but he did send some of the photographs from the seller. It turns out it is a 1913. It has all of the Britishicon proof marks, the broad arrow, the crown, inspectors number etc. on the ricasso with the Remington stamp on the other side marked 1913 10 16. None of the British marks have been crossed out and there is no U.S. stamp (there are a few numbers on the pommel that have been marked out).

My question is: What does this mean? Did it go to Britain and stay there to be used by them and not come back? I was thinking all the 1913s either never made it to Britain even though stamped with the proofs or went to Britain but were shipped back.

I feel like I have seen one before with the British proof marks not crossed out but most I have seen are stamped U.S. with lined out British proofs. My rifle is an Eddystone completely rebuilt at the end of WWII it is an almost perfect mix of Eddystone, Winchester, and Remington parts. So the fact that it has an original Kerr sling from WWI and now a 1913 bayonet is probably either very wrong or adds to it being a mixmaster. I do have to admit that while I thought I would only be happy with a 1917 bayonet the photos of the 1913 show it to be pretty cool in its own right and I like the proof marks not being lined out. I have a couple of spikes from Mosins and a short spike from an Enfield other than a bayonet from a Turkishicon Mauser this is my first edged milsurp weapon. Can’t wait till it gets here!

Attachment 81545Attachment 81546Attachment 81547Attachment 81548Attachment 81549Attachment 81550Attachment 81551
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.