Thread: A new acquisition! AC44 Walther P-38!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    09-19-2023 @ 12:24 AM
    Local Date
    06-04-2024
    Local Time
    08:42 PM
    OMG! I absolutely LOVE shooting this treasure! After redoing the springs and cleaning, I did 100 rounds of Federal 115 FMJ (brass case and aluminum case) ammo without a single hiccup or malfunction. At 10 yards it was basically dead on point of aim. Single action, though it had some creep, was great, with a crisp break. Double was heavy, but manageable. If a person was in combat, they wouldn't even notice.

I did the hammer drop test to see if it would discharge, but it worked fine. Of the 6 mags I had all worked perfectly, except one would not activate the slide stop. I have the Wolff mag spring from the service pack to replace it. I have a Glock 19 9mm, which is a serious combat arm. I also have an S&W M&P Shield 9mm, which I shoot even better than the Glock. The P38, however, is very different to shoot. It is graceful and refined. It almost feels elegant in the hand compared to the Glock or Shield.

If I were a combat soldier in WW2, I would not hesitate to carry/use a Walther P38 as a combat arm. I can see why it remained so popular as a military and police handgun after the war, and into the not so distant past. It is certainly better than the S&W 439 9mm I carried in the 1980s and early 1990s as a Police duty weapon. I will probably pick up a box or two of Hornady Critical Defense STANDARD velocity rounds, just to keep a couple mags loaded for it in the safe, just because that is what I do with all my autos.

I LIKE IT!!!! The picture is 50 shots, off hand at 10 yards, fired about 1 shot per second. the two flyers were double action first shots.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 03-14-2017 at 08:05 PM.