I've got an old VZ24 from century. It's been counter bored about 2 inches and has a damaged crown. I'm thinking about replacing the barrel with something like this:

Barrel, 8mm, 23-1/8, Stripped Gun Parts | 1495770 | Numrich Gun Parts

It's the same chambering, same caliber. Just, hopefully a barrel in better condition. I'd use a gunsmith but it's been very difficult to find a reputable one that's willing to work on this old chambering. For close to the same cost I'm thinking I'll have myself a little project, some experience and tools of my own if I ever need to do it again.

Is this a feasible, reasonable project to take on myself or should I leave it up to the pros? The two biggest concerns I have are having a chamber that's too tight and then having to take it to a gunsmith anyway to ream out. Or, I guess having a chamber that's too big and having to take it to a gunsmith to shorten.

I'm also a little uptight about silver soldering the sights back on and maybe having to drill and tap new set screw holes. Never done anything like that before. But I have a few welder friends I think can help out with the soldering.

Any of you ever done something like this?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.