I recently shimmed the barrels of my M1917 and P14 because they weren't touching and I felt it was affecting accuracy. I made a .020 shim for the 1917 and a .034 shim for the P14. It made a big improvement on both, a 1/4" tighter group improvement for each! I had the 1917 in a sporter stock that I had glass bedded and fully floated. It never seemed to achieve the accuracy that I was trying for. It shoots more accurately now in the full military stock with the front of the barrel supported than it ever did in the sporter stock.

When fired in the sporter stock you could feel that long barrel whip and swing down to the lower right as the bullet exited the barrel. It was a strange experience that everyone who shot the rifle felt happen and this was with no front sight.

My assumption is a 26" military contour barrel is just to long to be unsupported. The original barrel is too thin for that much length. It should be supported centerline of the bore the length of the pad at the end of the forestock. The front band doesn't need to be tapped on tight, just enough to be snug.

This is my opinion, others may disagree but I have experienced the results of both firsthand and a supported barrel does work better. - Bill