Thread: Sharing some photos of recently acquired m1903a4

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

GreenRiverBoy

Sharing some photos of recently acquired m1903a4

Hi Everybody,
    I thought I would share some photos and information of a 1903a4 that I recently found that from my research appears to be a accurate example of a post war rebuild from the Benicia Arsenal. I gave it an initial wipe down to remove the light film of gunk that came with it. The scope was removed for cleaning and examination but came with the rifle.

I would love to hear comments or any historical facts that you all may know as I'm not an expert on these rifles.

Here is a list of items that I have noted for this a4.

-Appears to be a fairly early example with SN 3,407,4XX which would make it under the 400th a4 manufactured.
    -Scope base is not marked "REDFIELD" so I'm assuming that it was replaced but does have stake marks at both front/rear mounting screws and staked for the left side windage screw. Question; why would the original base have been replaced anyway?
    -Stock is stamped BA11 but does not have any other stamps that would indicate that it is the original Remington stock. Also stamped with P and BB under the pistol grip (see photo).
    -Barrel appears to be a replacement with a 2-44 date and it does not have a punch mark on the bottom of the barrel towards the muzzle. I don't have gauges but this barrel is a 2 grove and is in absolutely fantastic condition; very bright and clean.
    -The M84's optics are also very clean/clear but scope is missing the SN plate and one turret cover.

Well anyway, that is all I can think of at the moment; thanks for your time and hope you enjoy the pics.
    Cheers.

Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by GreenRiverBoy; 06-10-2017 at 04:09 PM.