I'm hoping someone can help identify a rifle based on a description. I saw this rifle at a gun show today and unfortunately was unable to take any pictures.

It was a carbine length Mauser rifle, stamped "K98" on the side of the receiver and it had no other visible markings on the receiver above the wood apart from the serial number. It did not appear to be refinished,, however the bolt may have been chromed. The bolt handle was bent and there was a cutout in the stock for it, in addition the bottom of the bolt handle appeared to have been milled flat and given a checking like pattern which may not be original.

The barrel had a bayonet mounting lug that went almost all the way up to the muzzle and the stock had a collar that attached to the barrel with a hinge in it. It also had a L shaped stacking swivel that projected foreword from the forend.

The sights appeared unusual in that they were the standard K98kicon type sights but the rear was marked on both the top and bottom with ranges with the bottom ones going in the wrong direction.

It had full wood and had not been cut down, the bore was not eroded but has a bit dirty.

Any idea what this is and maybe what would be a good price for one? I know I am asking a hard question not having any pictures, but I hope my description was sufficient for someone to know what I'm talking about.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.